WHO?!?!?!

Welcome to Reverend Wayne Austin Goodchild's official blog. Not that there's an unofficial one...

Click WAYNE GOODCHILD IS HAUNTED to go to his Facebook page! There's good stuff on it! Honest!

...all work on here is copyright wayne goodchild, unless otherwise stated, you cheeky monkeys...

Tuesday 2 June 2009

STOREEZ / SKRIPTZ / AND ALL THAT

Apparently, ending a word with 'z' instead of 's' makes it 'urban', as in '50 Cent'. Hmmm.

Finished another short story, entitled 'Weather Report', about a most unusual storm. Also started on a script which I'm going to send to the BBC, so fingers crossed for that one.

Last week, my younger brother and I decided to make the most of the lovely weather and took a walk to a place called Ashby Ville. Basically, it's a massive lake, the depth of which no-one is entirely clear on. We saw a massive fish (bear with me) and other wildlife, which made us wonder about the actual history of the place.

It's common knowledge that a lot of (young) people have drowned in the Ville, partly due to the sudden drop several metres from the shore, and partly due to the 'strangle weed', that grows in the water and wraps itself around your limbs, dragging you under.

This gave me an idea for another story, but that's not what this little story is about: in our research into the Ville, we actually discovered that it used to be a quarry. We then asked our dad about it, and he said the sides of the lake used to be huge, and there were paths down towards the water (which was nowhere near as high up as it is today).

This got me thinking. Scunthorpe is an "industrial garden town" and is really only known because of the huge steelworks that dominate one side of town, but after talking with my dad a bit more,he told me loads of stuff about Scunthorpe's history that I had no idea about (such as how there used to be a POW camp near our house, and how there's still evidence outside my uncle's house from when a tank was pulled out of the nearby beck [stream]).

Once I've sorted all my current work, I'm going to see if I can't put together a documentary on Scunthorpe's Secret History. I think it could actually be really interesting (there're even ruins pertaining to the Knights Templar near where I live as well, so that's cool) and *hopefully* could be used to re-establish interest in local history for kids. I don't know. Maybe. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment