WHO?!?!?!

Welcome to Reverend Wayne Austin Goodchild's official blog. Not that there's an unofficial one...

Click WAYNE GOODCHILD IS HAUNTED to go to his Facebook page! There's good stuff on it! Honest!

...all work on here is copyright wayne goodchild, unless otherwise stated, you cheeky monkeys...

Thursday 19 July 2012

IS THIS REAL LIFE, OR IS IT JUST FANTASY? / SAME AS IT EVER WAS?

Hello, normality! THIS has been keeping me mega busy for aaagggeesss but now everything should be getting back to normal I can finally focus on writing again. Hurray!

In what little spare time I've managed to scrounge these last few months, I've been working my way through various films I've never seen, or not seen in a long time. Unsurprisingly, most of them are from the 1980s. I don't know what it is, exactly, but there's something about films from that time period that have a certain charm few films nowadays can recreate - and even with the ones that do it's often because they replicate the 80s, rather than offer anything technically 'new' (case in point: The Expendables - a thoroughly enjoyable action film that offers a nod and a wink to the 80s but takes place nowadays).

I'm also getting back into Mad Men. I can't sing the praises of this show enough, but then I don't have to because I think everyone knows by now how good it is. Some films make me wish I lived in that universe (like Dazed and Confused), some TV shows make me wish I lived in them (like Mad Men). How is it possible to pine for something you never experienced? Good writing. A nostalgia born of other media, or fond recollections belonging to those who lived through those times/experienced those things. There's technically nothing stopping me from starting the day with a scotch, or sleeping with my passably attractive secretary, except the fact it's not the 1960s and that I don't have my own office or a secretary. But a man can dream...

Here's to the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment